The study of Software Engineering enables students to develop an understanding of software engineering as a facet of computer science. Students have the opportunity to develop knowledge and understanding of software engineering, hardware and software integration, and the development, implementation and evaluation of computer programs. They focus on a systematic approach to problem-solving when designing and developing creative software solutions.
Topics studied in Year 11
- Explore the fundamental elememts of Object Oriented software development
- Research the prevalence and use of online collaboration tools
- Apply computational thinking and algorithmic design by defining the key features of standard algorithms
- Investigate the use of number systems for computing purposes, including binary, decimal and hexadecimal
Topics studied in Year 12
- Designing and developing functional software
- Interpret and apply fundamental software development steps to develop secure code
- Explore fundamental software security concepts and their impacts
- Apply and describe the benefits of collaboration to develop safe and secure software
What do you do in this course?
The subject provides students with a systematic approach to problem solving, an opportunity to be creative, excellent career prospects and interesting content, including exploring the role of artificial intelligence and the future of Software Engineering.
Students learn key coding skills and utilise them in a range of interesting scenarios before completing a major project of their choice. Students will also study various development approaches, social issues such as ergonomics and inclusivity as well as hardware and software.
How can this course help you in the future?
Software Engineering is all about future proofing our students. Coding skills are sought after in many industries and those who have them already have a head start when enrolling in tertiary education. The proliferation of ICT in almost every industry means that a wide range of computing skills will always make people more employable. These are skills we aim to impart to our students. Students develop a major software engineering project, this provides students with the opportunity to further develop project management skills which will assist in developing skills for future careers.