Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation has a flexible course structure, it focuses on those aspects of the learning area that relate most closely to participation in sport and physical activity.
This course caters for a wide range of student needs. It can assist students in developing:
- the qualities of a discerning consumer and an intelligent critic of physical activity and sport
- high levels of performance skill in particular sports
- the capacity to adopt administrative roles in community sport and recreation
- the skills of coach, trainer, first aid officer, referee and fitness leader. In the context of this course it may be possible for students to acquire recognised qualifications in these areas.
Topics studied in Year 11
Course varies from year to year, depending on student interests. Possible units of work include:
- First Aid and Sports Injuries
- Games and Sports Applications I
- Games and Sports Applications II
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Individual Games and Sports Applications
- Resistance Training
- Social Perspectives of Games and Sports
- Sports Administration
- Sports Coaching and Training
What do you do in this course?
SLR features a highly practical focus: physical activity being both an area of study and a medium for learning. All students are given significant opportunities to apply theoretical understanding to practical situations. This program should provides a balance between offering experience in a range of movement contexts and the opportunity to specialise in a specific sport or recreational activity
How can this course help you in the future?
The areas of sports science, physical education and human movement present viable post-school study and career pathways. This course provides a sound platform for further study and may offer some credit transfer opportunities into TAFE. The Sport and Recreation industry is a major growth industry and in this course students will gain an understanding and appreciation of the vocational possibilities in this area.
These include; the fitness industry, coaching, sports administration and sports medicine